Tuesday 22 September 2015

See through the eye of every African woman


Once upon a very close time, in a village with young women of 24-31 having 5-9 children respectively was an International Organization who decided to put up an outreach to assist women reduce their rate of having unwanted pregnancies.

One of the coordinators of the outreach with a look of pity and tears in her heart watched a woman (15 pregnancies-as she can remember, 2 fetal death,3 abortions and 9 living children) from the south west, pleaded with a health worker for money #200,(local currency) to make her way back home as she took a long walk just to access free family planning services and is too tired to make such walk again back home.
Aside my primary assignment which is to provide services for this women I realized that this woman and many more out there needed help with information not on a need to know basis but also help that would assist to meet their unmet needs.
At the time of counseling I told the counselor I would take up this myself as I am interested in this case.

Madam what is your name? She, with a smile told me her name and I smiled back so I guess she remembered her first love, oh how sweet these memories are, I thought.
In like manner, I asked for her  bio- data and histories, same smile, same pleasant answer. Wasn’t gonna be a bad interview any ways I thought to myself.

So.. Ma’am, how many children do you have…? 9 (a 4 weeks baby in her arms), I didn’t even notice until the baby cried cos she was sooo small. Never mind my mum used to tell me to be very observant that this would help me in my husband’s home but you see I try not to notice only the big things but the tiny ones as well.

Ok ma, how many times have you being pregnant, hmm at this stage the beautiful counselor has just poured salt on a healing wound…I noticed my client faced down. What happen to the voice? It disappeared. What happened to the smile, she threw it back to the father of the baby remembering the day he promised to buy her chicken for some fresh pepper soup but children’s burden won’t let him love his wife as the flesh willth.

Did I say something wrong, with a little blink of an eye, this is what I do every day, was I sleep-talking??? no I couldn’t have…this is just one of them women who had no say to her reproductive health, who at the teenage days got pregnant for a person that would not dare take responsibilities for her pregnancy else the father will kill him, who couldn’t even afford a female condom or the post pill, who was denied her sexual right, who was not equipped with information to make an informed choice.

With tears down her eyes, the story begins…

Madam, this na my first time here, I never do any family planning before. I carry belle when I dey primary 6, I born the pikin as the brother say hin no sabi me, but I still dey see am. (I took in when I was in primary 6 and my boyfriend denied responsibility of the baby)

After 3 years I come marry, I born 4 pikin for the man, but he die because he sick.

As I no get money take care of my children, I get one man friend wey dey come my house, every time wey he come he go buy food for me and my children. The day wey I go hin house after 2 weeks I come get belle.

After I come marry again I born three children but this one wey I carry for hand na mistake, my body no strong, once I do am, one time belle go enter.(I easily get pregnant just at a strike)

...What can a counselor do, but to maintain eye contact and listen closely without interruption.

Ok ma how old is this baby? she is one month and 2 days old, the woman replies.
Unfortunately, today I just couldn’t help this woman, her baby aint up to 6 weeks, no devices would be given so I told her to return in 3 weeks, still maintaining eye contact, my client started crying, whaling and sobbing,

Did I say anything wrong again, what seems to be the problem.

Madam abeg (Nigerian please) I no go fit go house, I don tire to dey carry belle, I dey miss my period almost every 6 month, please I will follow you to your office till my baby is 6 weeks, daddy biliki no go use condom, ye ey, I don die ooo.


Omg…I knew I was interested in this case.

No comments:

Post a Comment